Saturday, October 26, 2013

El Camino Revised Packing List

My goodness, did I learn the hard way the wisdom of packing light. I can now see how easily a backpacking trip can be derailed by a too heavy pack. Despite the mental strength, and even physical ability to carry a heavy load, your body will undoubtedly suffer for it. I am so unbelievably grateful that my bum knee made a full 100% recovery within a week of ditching over 10 pounds from my pack. 

My initial pack weighed approximately 33 pounds with food and water. After shipping the items annotated below, it weighed approximately 22 pounds with food and water. What a HUGE difference. One of my dreams is to thru hike the Pacific Crest Trail, and I will endeavor to get my pack down to 13-15 pounds without food and water. El Camino was a perfect learning experience in terms of the importance of minimalist packing (within reason). 

Below is my revised packing list for El Camino. Please take into account the time of year when packing for your Camino. I walked in September and October, and the temperature ranged from cold (40 degrees F) and rainy in the Pyrenees to hot (mid-80s) and sunny in the Meseta, back to 40 degree mornings in the Montes de Leon. Additionally, I had a few days of very heavy rain. The summer is EXTREMELY hot, especially in the Meseta. The Way is quite civil, and you should be able to find everything you need or a variation of it in the bigger cities and towns. 

Buen Camino!

Clothes:

1 Packa (rain jacket and pack cover in one) - a nifty design but tended to get damp inside the jacket due to trapped body heat (Kelsey was not a fan of this, and ended up buying a rain jacket and used the Packa as a pack cover only)
1 lightweight jacket (Arc'teryx) - perfect heat to weight ratio
1 fleece jacket (purchased in Santo Domingo) - used exclusively for post hiking lounging
1 pair of rain pants (Marmot)
1 long sleeve shirt (Smartwool) - Smartwool anything is fantastic
1 long sleeve shirt (Columbia) *
1 short sleeve shirt (Smartwool)
1 pair of shorts (Mountain Hardware) - never wore these to hike, but were convenient to wear when I was doing laundry
2 running pants (lululemon) - used one pair as after hiking and pajama pants and the other as exclusive hiking pants
1 lightweight dress (Patagonia - goodbye gift from Kate!)
1 blue bandana
1 pair of gloves (The North Face)
3 underwear (Exofficio) - excellent, quick drying design
2 sport bras
3 pairs of socks - purchased 2 additional pairs in Leon in response to the rain in the Meseta, but ended up not needing them
1 pair pink compression socks (Zensa) *
Pajamas *

1 pair trail running shoes (Salomon) - LOVE these shoes, all future trail runners will be Salomon 
1 pair water sandals (Keen) - great after hiking walking shoes but poor shower shoes as they didn't dry fast. I would recommend an additional pair of lightweight flip flops to shower with.

Gear:

Backpack (Gregory Deva 60 L) - despite being a heavier pack, it is so comfortable I couldn't feel the weight at all
Trekking poles (Black Diamond - borrowing from padres) - clutch
Sleeping bag (REI Sleeping Bag/Liner - decided to ditch North Face bulky mummy bag for this) - a perfect sleeping bag for the temperature
Insect repellent sleeping bag liner (Sea to Summit) - not totally necessary as you won't be sleeping outside, but it helped my state of mind in some of the dicier albergues (doesn't do anything against bedbugs though)
Sleeping pad (Therma Rest) *
1 blue tarp (instead of tent) *

Small gear:

1 Roll of duct tape *
Multipurpose tool
Knife
Earplugs
Collapsible cup *
Spork *
Trekking laundry wash
Journal *
Sunglasses
El Camino guidebook - if hiking in a group, one book per group
Camelback *
Water bottle
Headlamp
Clothing line 
Ziplock bags (purchased in St. Jean)

Medical/Toiletries:

1 first aid kit (includes basics)
Blister pads
Defense plus pills - I didn't need these, but they would have been handy should I had the beginnings of a cold
Ibuprofen
Multivitamins *
Cortisone, Allegra, Atarax (sensitive skin defense)
Cetaphil *
Tiger Balm
Insect Repellent *
Sunscreen
Toothpaste and toothbrush
Shampoo
Face wash
Deodorant
Half a role of toilet paper
Quick dry towel
Hand sanitizer
Anti-chafing foot cream (purchased in St. Jean) - I rubbed this on my feet every morning and was spared any blister pain. Not walking at top speed also helps against blisters.
Knee brace - I only needed this for a few days, but I kept it the entire Camino, just in case

Electronics:

iPad with Lifeproof case - not necessary, however, I will be taking the iPad with me on all future travels and wanted it to read iBooks and blog (although you could read and journal on a phone, or have a real book and journal). In hindsight, I would have preferred an iPad mini. 
iPhone - perfect for taking photos and transferring them with ease to the iPad
Camera (Samsung w/ wifi) and charger *
Adaptor
Chargers

Totally unnecessary, but...:

Tongue scraper *
PB2 Chocolate Peanut Butter packets
Jewelry (ring and bracelet)
Mascara *

* shipped from Navarette to Santiago

Wished/Should Have Had:
Hat
Cross body bag- to carry my essentials when exploring post hiking
Pillow case


No comments:

Post a Comment