Sunday, October 27, 2013

Porto, Portugal in Pictures!

I spent three days in Porto post Camino. I walked, ate, lounged, read and idled. Here are a few things I saw:


A view of the Ponte de Dom Luis I and the Porto waterfront from the Vila Nova de Gaia side of the Rio Douro.


Walking across the bridge.


Walking along the river on the Porto side towards the Atlantic Ocean.


Lighthouse.



The ocean framed.


Awkward selfie.


My new Salomon shoes! Same model, different color (alas, no purple to be found).




The fantastic hostel I called home for three days.

 
My comic book bed. 


The lounge and kitchen, with a balcony looking four stories down onto the Rua Galeria Paris.


Skylines abound. This one from the Se Catedral.


From the top of the Torre dos Clerigos.


Old and new intermingle. The sun setting on the Torre dos Clerigos and a posh shopping area.


Shopping of all sorts. But there were many Vida de Portugal curiosity shops...


...and clothing of all favors (posh, cheap, artistic, hobo)...


...and bookstores. Here is the famous Livrario Lello. You aren't allowed to take photos (they have two employees whose sole job is to prevent photo taking crime). I snuck a stealthy photo of the underside of the majestic staircase...


This bookstore reminds me of the one Audrey Hepburn works at in Funny Face.


Tempeh! Oh wait, why did I order this, I don't like tempeh. But it was vegan!


Black bean burger with pesto.


The uber popular Padaria Ribiero. There are at least one padaria on every block and in every plaza.


The Galeria de Paris restaurant where I ate breakfast. Every night they had live music I could hear from my hostel. 


Wine is big (Porto = Port). I would rather eat ice cream personally.


The Photography Museum, a converted prison. 
It was the most depressing exhibit I have ever seen. Here is the happiest picture I could find:


A boy in Guatemala carrying a gun and a bottle of liquor. But at least he is smiling. The exhibit was dedicated to human tragedy to include war, child soldiers, disappeared people, victims of famine, cholera and land mines and more. 


This boulevard reminds me of Prague sans the naked lady.


Front leaning rest? A group of University of Porto freshman learning the ropes on a Sunday morning.


Hello, old friend. An El Camino yellow arrow on the Portuguese Way. 


Departed the city to the airport by way of metro in the train station.


Self portrait.

Porto, you are lovely. I hope to visit again, but with a partner in crime to eat at all the fine restaurants and explore the wondrous sights (and also when I have nicer clothes than lululemon pants and a fleece). Tomorrow it is onward to Italy and the company of old friends.

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous pictures. You tell a beautiful story with or without words.
    Love your shoes....and you

    ReplyDelete