Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Feliz Navidad and Mendoza Part Uno!

After a late evening conference with our Argentinian-young-John-Candy lookalike hostel host, Michael and I decided to go river rafting the next day, Sunday, on the Menndoza River. Departing our hostel at a loose 0930 pick up time, we were on our way 30 minutes outside the city to Rio Aventura rafting company. Rio Aventura, a surf/ski/extreme sport/etc bum paradise is situated on the banks of the swift, brown Mendoza river. Coursing through the Andes, the river is a chocolate milk color year around due to the disturbance of the fine sediment of the surrounding hills. The lake, where the river terminates, is a deep blue, as the sediment settles on its quiet floor.


The brown river in the background. Note: this picture was taken AFTER rafting...

Driving up the river in a technicolor school bus with 15 other novice rafters and our guides, we received a quick safety brief. Donning our floppy, MC Hammer rafting outerwear (provided by Rio Aventura), helmets and life jackets, we gazed upon the talkative river with only the slightest apprehension. Since Michael fessed up to knowing a bit of Spanish (he actually knows quite a lot), we were put in the Spanish speaking raft, where I received a quick lesson on simple rafting commands. "Adelante! Atras! Yeahhhhhh!" Without any further ado, we were clambering into our raft, and saying goodbye to the shore, as Marcos, our stellar and enthusiastic guide deftly steered us to the middle of the river. At first, everything seemed pretty benign, a pleasant sunny day, floating down a river surrounded with the picturesque and golden Andes mountains. It wasn't long however, until we hit our first rapid, and it felt like we were paddling for our lives.


I am in the red helmet, Michael is right in front of me. If you can't tell, I have a s*#t eating grin that NEVER left my face (the pictures are the proof).

Our raft engulfed in brown water, everyone screaming and laughing, digging our paddles into swirling water, only to be plucked into the air as we were thrown over a wave, our paddles windmilling in the air for purchase. Oh it was fantastic. We hit "stout class four" rapids continually down the river. I didn't even know you could send total beginners down a class four river...


Take 1: I'm the one with my mouth open, screaming/laughing as we are being engulfed by a rapid. Michael is bracing for shock.


Take 2: Michael totally engulfed...


Take 3: Emerging on the other side.

Hit by a particularly aggressive wave, Michael, who was leaning precariously over the side to "Adelante fuerte!" popped out of our raft. Desperately trying to hang on to his paddle and catch the line running along the raft simultaneously, he was in danger of being swept away. I immediately dropped my paddle, grasping his closed wet fist that refused to relinquish his paddle, but alas, the rapid had already swept him behind me. The paddler behind me launched himself towards Michael, hauling him towards the raft. Pulling his paddle into the raft, Michael's hands were free to pull himself towards the front of the raft on the raft line. There, the other male paddler in the front hooked his arms around Michael's life jacket straps and hauled him in a backwards somersault into the raft. In all, it was less than ten seconds of insanity, and as Michael and I broke into adrenaline fueled hysterical laughter, we were sucked into another monster rapid. Fortunately, we got our s*#t together and held on. Classic, Michael was the only rafter to fall in throughout the "biggest day of the year." Rafting on the Mendoza River? Amazing.

Monday we began Spanish lessons at Ecela Curso de Espanol in Mendoza. I love being back in a classroom...even if Michael and I are the oldest students by about nine years. It continues to amaze me how such young people are out exploring and bumming in all parts of the world. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be on my own, figuring out everything, at 18 in a country far from home. Just incredible.


Ecela!

On our first day, we learned that not only did we have Christmas Day off, but also Tuesday, Christmas Eve! As such, and because this Christmas is the first one Michael and I are able to spend together in our almost four year relationship, we decided to splurge on this place:



Michael made the brilliant decision to swim in this unbelievably cold, spring fed river. I made it as far as my calves.

Terma Cacheuta, an hour from Mendoza, is situated beautifully on the Mendoza River. The natural hot springs have yielded a place of total relaxation and beauty. Snagging the last room with AC (quite necessary in this strangely humid 95 degree weather), we made quick reservations on Monday evening, and by noon on Christmas Eve, we looked like this:


First ever mud bath!

We lazed around, soaking in rays, lounging in mineral spring water until our hands were prunes, all the time, recognizing how lucky we are. 


Feast!


Our beautiful room.

Yesterday, I received a truly wonderful Mele Kalikimaka email from Susan, my Hawaiian adventurer. She posed something so perfect in response to my anxiety in the Himalayas: "...maybe you don't need to be in the most isolated of places (mentally and physically) to have your moment. And maybe it won't be just one moment, but a build up of all these amazing and diverse experiences you've acquired that will be the pieces of the puzzle you need to see a big picture...Maybe it'll be in a moment when you are with a lot of people in a familiar place and realise you are happy in that moment... and that's enough for a bit." Suze, so much wisdom. Being here with Michael, walking the Camino with Keksey, Maks and Molly in Italy, Em in the Himalayas, the Yoga chicas at Sadhana...yes, being with all the people I love does bring me the greatest joy. And I have relied on so many people to hold me up, and bring me closer to myself. It truly is enough to be with those you love and simply be content, loved and loving. 

Our Christmas Day was complete with traditional movie watching ("You've Got Mail" - a Rodkin women must, "Home Alone", and "Snowman") as well as FaceTime and emails to friends and family.


Feliz Navidad to the multitude of beautiful, truly giving, kind and patient people in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment