Monday, February 17, 2014

Antarctica and Ann Arbor

As I sit here by the window in Andino Gormet cafe, in the self-proclaimed southernmost city in the world, Ushuaia, I can't help but smile. No, not smile, try an over the moon, s*%t eating grin. So where do I begin? Did it all start at the beginning of this year of travel? Or was it before that, the years of life knocks and life elations? Or is it all just building, everything folding and mixing together into a clearer sense of "me" and what that really means. All I know, is I'm happy.

Hot off the press, I just found out after the whirlwind of applications and movings and shakings, I have been accepted to the University of Michigan's School of a Natural Resources and Environment! In a serendipitous stroke of timing, I submitted my application the week of SNRE's Faculty Admission Committee, and voila a decision was made. I am so grateful that I have this news to carry with me into my next adventure. I am still waiting to hear back from the Ross School of Business for the other half of my dual degree aspiration, but come August I will be pursuing an M.S. in Environmental Justice. Aloha future!


But for now, my next adventure is about to begin! I am embarking on tall ship Bark EUROPA today in this southern Argentinian city to sail to Antarctica, South Georgia Island and onwards across the Atlantic to Ascension Island! I will visit penguin colonies, trace Sir Ernest Shackleton's footsteps on the final leg of his adventure and visit the most remote civilization in the world: Tristan da Cunha. 


I promise to have much better pictures of the Europa in two months.

Unfortunately, I will have no access to Internet during the two months I am part of Europa's crew, but I will post links to the ship locator and logbook in a follow-on post. I will also keep my journal and post about the journey when I return to land.

I flew from Guatemala to Ushuaia over the course of 20 hours beginning on Sunday. The final 10 minutes of flight made the rest of the hours of boredom so worth it. Emerging from the clouds, we traced the  hump of the Andes, and found ourselves flying over the long Ushuaia channel. Mountains flowing into water. It was a bumpy ride, but breathtaking. A resounding applause went up when we landed.


Ushuaia nestled in the Andes.

After checking in to my hotel, I wandered the busy hub of streets, encountering countless outdoors stores hawking North Face, Patagonia, Colombia, Timberland and more to the adventure tourists who find themselves here. As a cruise town, there are also a fair share of fudge shops and romantic view restaurants. 


Europa is a bit of a bold undertaking. I don't know any of the other 59 permanent crew and "trainees" onboard, but I will be spending the next two months in close quarters, experiencing places of wild beauty and remote wonder. The ship, built in 1911 has 30 sails, no winches, and a rich history of wandering the world. Every morning I will watch the sunrise spread across the endless expanse, and every evening the sun dip behind a purple ocean. I will climb the masts, and "haul away!" Oh! Today, I step onboard and I am filled with images of starry nights, whales cresting, and the funny sort of waddle of emperor penguins. 


Our first Valentine's Day physically together!

And back to my heart thumping, cheek crunching grin. It really has everything to do with love. I am in love with Michael and am missing him fiercely, but also literally singing with excitement of our future at U of M and beyond. I love my courageous and creative family and my dynamic and dreamer friends. Perspective and the truth of simplicity. That's what traveling gives you. 

Aloha and love! See you in two months!

1 comment:

  1. HI Mikaela, I was pointed to your blog from a mutual connection through my dad. You must be in the middle of your boating adventure right now, it sounds incredible. What a true separation from the "real world"! Looking forward to reading your posts once you're done. (all those sails without winches, sounds like some hard work :)

    ReplyDelete