Monday, February 10, 2014

Aloha Hopeful Future

It has been a rather momentous day. After six weeks of single-minded concentrated determination, countless hours of essay writing, resume tweaking and networking (thank goodness for Skype), I finally hit submit on my second of two graduate program applications this morning.

Soul searching my path in life has been an ongoing process for years. I always knew that my time in the Navy would come to an end, and I was going to get that incredible chance at a life career switch. Over time, my passions slowly become more refined, running the gamut of sociology, psychology, energy and sustainability, journalism and more. This year of travel has been about non-stress and non-anxiety over the future. Instead - as fufu as it sounds - I have just let things work out organically. The meditation of walking and traveling, meeting new people and encountering diverse cultures worked itself on my brain and sub-conscious, and on January 1st, it all become clear.

My original plan was to wait to apply to grad programs until next Fall, and not start school until 2015. But that seemed like a big block of time post-Navy of semi-directional drift. Talking with family and friends, I started in earnest to look at more concrete options for the future. The beauty of being with Michael in South America was a chance for a few weeks of stability. I had the time to do research and daydream and drum up lists. The program that easily sifted to the top was University of Michigan's dual degree MBA and M.S. at the School of Natural Resources and Environment. It is a perfect partnership. I can utilize the skills I gained in the Navy and apply it to my passion of reducing food insecurity, combating obesity, and helping to save the environment in sustainable and creative ways.

My decision to come to Guatemala (which hindsight has revealed was so the perfect decision) was motivated initially by not wanting to separate again from Michael so soon after our reunion. The other huge factor was that I could work undisturbed in his beautiful, fast-internet, quiet apartment in Guatemala City on all that is involved with the applications. I'm not sure if I would have been so successful getting everything done to the standard I did if I had been bumming around South America (as much as I wanted to). So today, I hit submit. I can breath a quick sigh of accomplishment and gear up for my next adventure beginning this weekend: Antarctica.

I will find out by mid-May if I have been accepted into both programs. No matter what happens, I am happy in this moment and looking forward to all that will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment