Monday, September 2, 2013

Hawaiian State of Mind

I was night walking on the beach, or rather, very early day walking. It feels simultaneously powerful and vulnerable to walk at night. The rare quiet, the aloneness of it. And on the beach, the trust of your bare feet in the sand and the roar of wind and wave pulsing adrenaline into you. Watching the sun rise murky and bright over the Mokes off Lanikai, I feel peaceful back here in Hawaii. 


Yesterday I arrived in Honolulu and made an immediate beeline for my favorite meal on Earth: an acai smoothie bowl with bananas, berries, granola and honey. The Health Bar, tucked into the base of Diamonhead is my favorite variation of this island creation. My hope is that I can eat an acai bowl everyday while I am here and store up the taste sensation until my next adventure to Hawaii. 



Driving from the airport to Diamonhead, I experienced the deeply satisfying sensation of returning to a place and knowing it. Which lane to be in, what exit to take, landmarks and senses working together. Brushing dust off my Hawaiin internal map and finding barely a wrinkle in the lines of memory, it makes me recognize the power of visual recall. I recently read Moonwalking with Einstein by Johua Foer, where the art and history of memory is explored, recognizing memory's elegance and lasting necessity. Coming back to a place is your "memory palace" at work, because, you may forget words, names or numbers, but you never forget a place. Windows down, Ziggy Marley's Beach in Hawaii playing, it was less than 30 minutes before someone flashes the shaka when I let him merge. I love this place. 

1 comment:

  1. love it! I'm so excited for you to begin your adventures. That picture of the beach is awesome, I wish I was there too!

    ReplyDelete