Thursday, September 12, 2013

Packing for El Camino

Admittedly, I am not totally sure what I am doing (in the details sense, hopefully not in the broad sense). I have never trekked before, never even backpacked and camped overnight with the exception of Kalalau Beach with Sus (alas only car camping for me). The longest day hikes I have done have been a few 26 milers, every one underprepared and under-provisioned. The closest calls I have had all include hiking (one involves falling off a small cliff in Hawaii, another bringing only 64 ounces of water on a blistering 26 mile hike on the Pacific Crest Trail outside of San Diego). Essentially, I am playing the El Camino packing list by ear, which many (myself included) would maybe find a bit crazy. 

Finally, for the first time today, a mere 24 hours before I am set to depart for Europe, I assembled all of my wayward gear into my backpack. All I can say is...it's heavy.


Everything set out, ready to be stuffed into my backpack. It will fit, it will fit...

Clothes:

1 Packa (rain jacket and pack cover in one)
1 fleece jacket (Arc'teryx)
1 pair of rain pants (Marmot)
2 long sleeve shirt (Smartwool and Columbia)
1 short sleeve shirt (Smartwool)
1 pair of shorts (Mountain Hardware)
2 running pants (lululemon)
1 lightweight dress (Patagonia - goodbye gift from Kate!)
1 blue bandana
1 pair of gloves (The North Face)
3 underwear (Exofficio)
2 sport bras
3 pairs of socks
1 pair pink compression socks (Zensa)
Pajamas

1 pair trail running shoes (Salomon)
1 pair water sandals (Keen)

Gear:

Backpack (Gregory Deva 60 L)
Trekking poles (Black Diamond - borrowing from padres)
Sleeping bag (REI Sleeping Bag/Liner - decided to ditch North Face bulky mummy bag for this)
Insect repellent sleeping bag liner (Sea to Summit)
Sleeping pad (Therma Rest)
1 blue tarp (instead of tent)

Small gear:

1 Roll of duct tape
Multipurpose tool
Knife
Earplugs
Collapsible cup
Spork
Trekking laundry wash
Journal
Sunglasses
El Camino guidebook
Camelback
Water bottle


In process...

Medical/Toiletries:

1 first aid kit (includes basics)
Blister pads
Defense plus pills 
Ibuprofen
Multivitamins
Cortisone, Allegra, Atarax (sensitive skin defense)
Cetaphil
Tiger Balm
Insect Repellent
Sunscreen
Toothpaste and toothbrush
Shampoo
Face wash
Deodorant
Half a role of toilet paper
Quick dry towel
Hand sanitizer

Electronics:

iPad with Lifeproof case
iPhone
Camera (Samsung w/ wifi)
Adaptor
Chargers

Totally unnecessary, but...:

Tongue scraper
PB2 Chocolate Peanut Butter packets
Jewelry (ring and bracelet)
Mascara


Finally, it's all in. As a frame of reference, Lily is a 50 pound English Bulldog. 

As a rule of thumb, you are supposed to only carry 10-15% of your body weight. Well, I can definitely say I am not within those parameters. This behemoth that I am supposedly carrying across Spain weighs just shy of 30 pounds...without water. Unfortunately, as much as I think I can pull off being an ultralight trekker, I am simply too attached to my creature comforts. I have heard tales of hikers abandoning gear along El Camino to lighten the load, which may be the fate of some of my "essential" belongings. I am desperately hoping my body just "gets used to it" and I can tough it out (Sus assures me this will happen). In any case, I am just going to give my pack a wry smile and transfer my mindset to total excitement. Kelsey and I just had our last brainstorming session, everything is as set as it can be. The adventure is about to begin!






5 comments:

  1. I love it! What a great idea to blog about this journey! So cool to see your gear. Did the same thing as you last night, packed my bag, unpacked, rearranged, repacked, unpacked, rearranged, repacked.... We're both learning what trekking is all about, I'm about as experienced as you, but before long we'll be PROS! Can't wait to see you in Paris :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloha Mikaela.......it's Johnette. So excited your mom sent me this link. What an amazing adventure you're having. My hiking club has been doing a lot of trail angel work on the PCT this summer. We even brought four hikers back to my house for an overnight visit then took them back to the trail the following day. It was so much fun.

    I am very excited to be able to share your journey with you. I have two girl friends who are walking the El Camino next August. I'd love to be able to share your blog with them. Your mom has met one of them....is it alright if I share?

    Sending you the warmest of malulani and aloha.......Johnette (aka Happy Tutu)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johnette! Aloha! You can absolutely share the blog! I am going to do a follow up list at the end of El Camino with what I could have gone without on the trail. So happy you will be reading! Big aloha and hugs!

      Delete
  3. Hello Mikaela,
    It's my birthday and I get the present of following you (Thanks to Johnette)! I'm one of the gals Johnette hikes with HTHC (Holy Thursday Hiking Club). I'm so looking forward to following you. You are in my thoughts and prayers. So looking forward to your Trek!

    ReplyDelete