Thursday, November 28, 2013

Himalaya Trekking

Aloha beautiful world. The Himalayas, oh how they gripped me. Silent, yet dynamic, I walked through them as in a land touched by the true breadth and depth of grace. 


Ama Dablam, my favorite mountain. 

Emily and I walked a Himalayan circuit, and have safely returned to Kathmandu. During the 17 days and 16 nights of our trek, I overcame some of the most intense physical and mental challenges of my life. Most notably the handicap of fear. 


Em and I at Everest Base Camp!

Struggling up steep dirt pathways, teetering on the edge of narrow paths, slipping and catching on ice, stomping our feet in the cold, dodging rockslides, burdened by 38 pound packs, we put one foot in front of the other and moved amongst mountains. From the lakes by Gokyo, over the Cho La Pass, to Everest Base Camp (what energy!), and standing on top of Kala Pattar at over 18,000 ft, I was filled with the incredible blessing of this wild and grand place.


Bishnu, our simply wonderful guide, and I on top of Kala Pattar. Everest is above us.

During our trek I kept notes on the particulars of life, from the mundane, to the gross (I apologize in advance, and this maybe should not be read while eating), to the awed, humbled and inspired. To follow will be these posts by day. 

Aloha and namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment